Friday, March 28, 2008

I'm Flying. Thank you Archimedes!

What a rush...never will I experience the sensation of flying, I mean flying like a bird, moving at will through three demensional space, quite the same way as I do when diving. I want to go up...I look up and inhale deeply, and there I go. And when it comes time to go down...or to some other place, I simply look there and exhale deeply and I move to the new place. This is the beauty of neutral buoyancy while diving. Archimedes is my hero, as his principle of buoyancy states that "any body partially or completely submerged in a fluid is buoyed up by a force equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the body." It was once a hard concept to imagine. But now I know that it means I am weightless in the water, that is to say perfectly balanced and neither floating nor sinking in the water column. My buoyancy is affected by my breath, changing the volume of the object (me) while not significantly changing the weight of the object (unlike the Spaghetti Carbonara I had for dinner last night.) Isn't physics wonderful?

And so I fly, supported in mid water I move at will, like a condor soaring on the currents. Free, streamlined, unencumbered and ultimately happy! Sound like fun? You can learn to dive in two weekends and you will have a sense of neutral buoyancy. You will perfect your neutral buoyancy on every dive over your entire dive career as you discover new ways to use your body and your equipment to achieve perfect weightlessness. You too will be able to fly.

I love teaching new students to dive. At some point in class they discover that they are perfectly neutrally buoyant and there is an "aha!" moment when their eyes light up and the smile is evident through their mask. Of course the excitement changes their breathing pattern and position and the perfect moment is lost but for that split second they are enthralled. Let me teach you to dive at Atlantic Edge Dive Center.

Cheers...JaneS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jane you are ever lookin so cute underwater in scuba yet very lovley